Subject: [Leica] Uh.... earth to lawyers....
From: "Duane Birkey" <duanebirkey@andinanet.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 22:38:00 -0500

I'm not a lawyer..... but reading in between the quotes I find the phrase
"The Leica Glass Laboratory" twice....

It would appear to me that Leica USA refers to it as being a laboratory and
not a factory...  Outside the quotes Seth uses factory.....  So... I don't
know if that is Seth's words or from other references in the article.
Sounds like a topic for the next LHSA convention.  Didn't Erwin write about
this?????

With some 50,000 experimental melts....  and the "up to 10 metric tons in a
single year"   we really don't know a whole lot..... as we don't know how
much glass was made in each of the 50,000 experimental melts... For all we
know they had one year where the scientists went overboard in their
experiments.... and then produced 100 pounds other years.

And this doesn't say anything about mass production of glass....  merely
emphasizes the "The Leica Glass Laboratory" creation of 35 new glass
formulas that made most of Leica's modern lenses possible.

But I'm not lawyer.

Duane

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador
http://ecuadorphotos.tripod.com

Seth wrote:

Here it is, direct from the glasses' mouth, Fall 2001 issue of Leicaview,
published by Leica USA, adapted in turn from an interview with Norbert
Meinert, last manager of the Leitz Glass Factory:

"The Leitz Glass Laboratory ....operated until 1989......Overall, the Leitz
Glass Laboratory developed 35 new glasses from an estimated 50,000
experimental melts.....Without the laboratory, in fact, most of the modern
lenses of the period 1949 to 1989 would not have been possible. Because of
its work, the company produced up to 10 metric tons of glass a year, partly
because of close communication between glass researchers and lens designers.
Other large glass manufacturers were often behind Leita/Leica because
optical
glass is of only minor importance to them...."

Replies: Reply from Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com> (Re: [Leica] Uh.... earth to lawyers....)
Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Uh.... earth to lawyers....)