Subject: [Leica] Re: Eric's PAW week 12
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 10:33:21 -0600

Jeffery:

>The alt-image with the "wolf" standing over the infant is most unsettling.

>I guess I like the dog-over-baby image best because it is completely
>focused and ... scariest.

This entire thread is quite interesting to me.  I never perceived any of
these images to be scary or unsettling.

This image is where my daughter has been in the most danger:

http://canid.com/pics/jbm_wolfgang_pull1.jpg

Needless to say, I put my camera down very quickly and interceded before
anything else could happen.  The dogs don't mind her pulling on them at all.
Like Doug said, you also have to be careful that small children don't hurt
the animals.  She's poked almost everybody--my wife, one cat, both dogs, and
myself--in the eye at least once.  The "wolf looming over baby" dog loves
the attention.  But when she starts flailing her arms around, he moves his
head so his eyes are out of poking range.  He's not stupid.  :)

The dog in that picture is Skye, who is a Norwegian Elkhound.  Very closely
related to wolves.  One of the oldest breeds of domesticated dogs...they've
been around since 5000 BC.  They accompanied the Vikings on many of their
travels.  In time of war, the minister of defense of Norway has the power to
call up all Elkhounds for military service.  If Norway ever enters a war,
we're not going to answer our phone.  :)

If you're interested, here's an image I took a few seconds after my main
one:

http://canid.com/pics/jbm_dogs2.jpg

And here are some images right before the alternate:

http://canid.com/pics/jbm_skye_watch1.jpg
http://canid.com/pics/jbm_skye_watch2.jpg
http://canid.com/pics/jbm_skye_watch3.jpg

Eric