Subject: Re: [Leica] A Land Without Lawyers
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:41:37 EST

In a message dated 3/26/02 4:10:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

> Certainly we need lawyers. And certainly many lawyers do
>  many good things. But let's skip the Alice In Wonderland stuff and remember
>  that the pure food and drug act, and most of the important labor
legislation
>  came about because of the efforts of citizen reformers and crusading
>  journalists, NOT lawyers - who were the hired guns attempting to block
those
>  reforms.

Nah, B.D. There is a lawyer on each side of almost every case. A great many
of the greatest reformers were lawyers. Ever hear of the infamous Boss Tweed
and his gang of corrupt pols, the Tweed Ring, that ran New York City politics
for decades? Do you know who brought Tweed and his minions to their knees?
Lawyers who were fed up with the corruption of New York City's courts,
virtually all of whose judges were Twee flacks and appointees. Those same an
ti-Tweed lawyers then formed the Association of the Bar of the City of New
York, the first such lawyers' association in the United States, to try to
keep New York City's court clean.

Seth       LaK 9