Subject: Re: [Leica] was leica marketed as a professional camera or a hobbiest camera?
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:54:37 EST

Kyle:

I'll take a shot (fuhgettabout lawyers). I believe the answer is yes on all
counts. Go back to the 1930s when what was then called miniature photography
was just flowering. Professionals did indeed buy and use Leicas in increasing
numbers as the word got out on how remarkable it was to attend public events
with such a tiny, handy, precise and accurate camera.

With a bow to Marc Small, Zeiss Ikon Jena developed THE competing system, the
Contax and its wonderful line of lenses and related accessories. For the
pros, the cameras, the lenses, the entire system, marketed themselves.

But the professional market was probably not big enough to justify the outlay
to develop the phenomenal array of equipment that both companies did. They
had to develop a market of well-off "advanced amateurs" who were interested
in the new-fangled miniature camera and so their print material, including
the Leica Manual - of which I also have a mid-1950s edition - was aimed at
the non-professional photographer. The professional didn't need the
"instruction" provided by the Manual.

I have a strong feeling that the very same thing is true today. The pro knows
just what (s)he wants - after hearing the experience of colleagues with
particular gear. Isn't that largely what the LUG is about, for our
professional members. And remember, ten years ago there was no LUG. The
non-pro had to rely on friends or on the trustworthiness of his/her local
camera shop.

my 2p.

Seth      LaK 9