Subject: [Leica] cri de coeur
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:31:04 -0500

One of my colleagues recently underwent a mastectomy and will commence
intensive chemotherapy on Monday.  A few days ago she asked me whether I
would be willing to come to her house  on Thursday to photograph her while
she still resembles "the person I imagine myself to be."    Of course I
agreed to do so, but I confess that I am anxious about this beyond
speech.  I am an *amateur* photographer, nothing more, nothing less, and
much as I'd like to think otherwise, I know that nothing has ever really
been at stake in the images that I make.

This is different--something is at stake, I think, and I want desperately
not to blow it.

I've thought a lot about what I want to do, and I shall let her tell me
what she wants, but I will very much appreciate any insight, advice, or
experience that any of you who might have attempted such a thing might wish
to share with me. Off list is fine.

Many thanks in advance.

Chandos

Replies: Reply from Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au> (Re: [Leica] cri de coeur)