Subject: [Leica] Domke 802 Rulez
From: "dante@umich.edu" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:24:16 -0500

Let me start with the proposition that a camera bag adds nothing to your
pictures.  Not a damn thing.  They cost a lot, they are worth nothing in the
end, and they scream, steal me.  Find any excuse you can not to buy one.  To
put significant finish wear on a camera, you need about 20 years.  Given the
average age here and the possible demise of chemical snapshots, I wouldn't
give it a second thought.  Use the money you would have spent on the bag to
buy things that enhance your capabilities: film, paper, a handheld meter, a
better flash, a special purpose lens (maybe a Jupiter something), etc.

If you have to buy something, the single best camera bag I have owned is the
802 (not its smaller cousin the 803).  Get it, a single-space insert, and a
double.  The 802 has space for tons of stuff, up to the size of a laptop
computer.  With airlines cracking down on carryon luggage, it's time to
start thinking outside the box.  You need something that can also carry a
shaving kit and a change of underwear (for when your luggage gets lost).
The 802 is very small, unobtrusive and minimalist.  It is also cheap ($60).
These qualities will of course, turn off many people here.  It also has a
somewhat easier clasp (I wish they would have used a little velcro).

YOU may talk o' scotch an' cheer
When you're hanging safe out 'ere,
An' you're sent to penny-shoots an' oblast it;
But if it comes to shooting
You will do no touting
An' you'll lick the bloomin' M of 'im that's got one
Now in Detroit's wintry clime,
Where always spend my time
A-servin' of 'Er Majesty the Man,
Of all them black-cloth case
The finest one I fac'd
Was our traditional canvas, Eight-o-Two.

    It was "two two two"
    You sorry sick manpurse Eight-O-Two
    Hi! slippy film cans!
    Lenses, get em! Panee lao!