Subject: [Leica] Question regarding recommended scanner for a specific use
From: Irving Greines <igreines@GMSR.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:09:10 -0800

Hello:

I'm a Leica shooter.  I use film exclusively. I've not yet strayed into
digital.

But, I'm about to--but only for a limited purpose.

I'm using my Leica for a black and white project (negative film, not Scalia)
which involves shooting environmental portraits in some very sketchy
neighborhoods. Many of the people have asked that I return with images.

I don't want to take the time needed to do quality prints. I have access,
however, to a friend's Olympus P-200 printer which prints 3x4" black and
white prints quickly, conveniently and relatively inexpensively.

My question: What scanner should I buy? Obviously, I want one that will
enable me to scan directly from a black and white negative; then, I may wish
to crop the image slightly on my laptop so as to achieve a 3x4 ratio;
finally, I will print and deliver the image.

Obviously, I don't need a top-of-the line scanner to achieve my goal. I need
one that will provide nice prints that the subjects will enjoy.

One person recommended the Minolta Dual Scan II. What do you suggest?

I'd appreciate any input you can give. Thanks in advance for your help.

.

PLEASE NOTE:  GMSR has moved to a new address.
Greines, Martin, Stein & Richland LLP is now located at
5700 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 375, Los Angeles, CA  90036.
Our main telephone number (310-859-7811) and our main fax number
(310-276-5261) have not changed.

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Question regarding recommended scanner for a specific use)