Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera bags, was A Land Without Lawyers
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 23:55:31 -0800

Don't sell your sell yourself short. In front of a police line, an
individual with a camera is a threat. The local police are about as ill
trained as they come when it comes to media relations, never mind public
relations. When they are _on_the whole world is a threat. Any indicator
that can give them cause I avoid. I don't wear red shirts, black shirts,
and anything remotely resembling OD.
One photographer, an older gentleman, who has been covering
demonstrations across the country for a book, had his ear nearly shot
off by an LAPD rubber bullet, and his upper thigh shot, narrowly missing
his groin. The LAPD just settled that class action suit, that was
brought on by AP, with 5 or so photographers.
To make matters worse the Blackblok has used spray paint on
photographer's lenses.
I don't think that the law on impersonating military personnel has been
used since that time. However, I'll always, and I mean always, will err
on the side of caution. Just as a lot of things that we've learned to
take for granted are now being rethought, and not at all to our
advantage, I wouldn't surprised of anything coming out of the woodwork.
Slobodan Dimitrov