Subject: [Leica] RE: Cheap R8's available!
From: David Young <youngs@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:55:36 -0800

Ernie Nitka said:

>David - thanks for sharing this story.

My pleasure. And, it's OK to laugh, Ernie  I did.  It was either that, or
cry!

Actually, I was of mixed minds when Kindermann announced they could fix the
90 and 180. After all, a replacement of the 90 would have gained me the new
ASPH 90, and replacement of the 180 would have meant jumping from f4 to
f2.8.  But then again, I prefer the f4, for lightness, when travelling.

>I am now in
>the process of sending in a detailed camera rider to my insurance company -
>was long outdated - had insured cameras that I no longer owned and left off
>some that needed to be on it.

Smart man!

>I use a company that will pay out - with a
>rider- for anything that goes wrong including theft, loss, damage

Yup, these riders (sometimes called 'floaters') cover everything - even
accidental damage by your own hand - so long as it's not deliberate.

I damaged the R5's mirror box when sitting in a Bangkok pub, having a few
beers at the end of a long, very hot day. The camera was in my lap and when
it came time to go - I stood up!  I blame this stupidity on the beer!  :)

Any LUG'er who doesn't have this kind of coverage (it can be added to just
about any residential policy so long as you're not a pro) they should get it!

Of course, in my case, I'm not sure the use of the term "Camera Floater"
was a good choice!

David Young        | Experience gained varies directly
Victoria, CANADA   | with equipment ruined.