Subject: RE: [Leica] 1.25 Mag
From: Henry Ting <henryting10@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 12:14:30 -0800 (PST)

I wouldn't blame Leica for missing the demand
forcasting on the 1.25 mag. To be fair to Leica, no
one can really estimate how a product launch will
shape up. This happens to the Imac, cars and all other
consumer products. Beside the problem gets
logistically complicated if any company have to rely
on an OEM. From ordering components, labor resources,
assembly, QA, shipping and allocation, there's quite a
lead time. While the 1.25 mag is a small and niche
market to fulfill, other high-tech industry, such as
the MAC can make or break a company's fiscal year
statement for missing the demand, either in
over-forecasting, which lead to accessive inventory,
or under-forcasting, which lead to unfulfilled orders.
While its easy for us to throw out comments, but in
the real world, that decision making process is
extremely complicated; especially now we rely more on
global demands and OEM supplies.