Subject: [Leica] The Kodachrome Solution
From: David Young <youngs@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 17:25:07 -0800

For all those who would like to use Kodachrome, but are afraid to send it
to Kodak or their agents for processing, there is an alternative.

It's safe, won't get lost in the mail and nobody will give you any film if
it doesn't work out.  It's called "Do it yourself"!

Now, before everyone laughs (this is NOT an April fool story, I promise!)
let me tell you, I've seen it done!

Way back, when the earth was still cooling (1965 or so), there was a lot of
debate in the mags (Pop Photo, Modern, etc.) complaining about the same
indifferent processing from Kodak that we've been griping about. A chap
wrote in to (I think) Modern to say he did his own Kodachrome, 35mm and
16mm movie, in his basement!  (As I recall, the editor obviously didn't
believe him, and responded with a less than polite dig.)

He lived only about a 90 minute drive from me and so, after a few phone
calls, a friend and I drove out to interview him. He was delighted we'd
come and showed us all through his basement lab.  An impressive setup it
was, too.  All home-built equipment, made mostly of wood.

He told us that the problem was not discovering how the process is done,
nor was it in building the machinery.  It was in finding sources where he
could  buy the many chemicals needed in small quantities.  With many of the
chemicals a pound or two would last a lifetime of home processing for they
were measured in grains.  And most chemical companies sold only by the
drum!  He said it took him over 5 years to trace down the appropriate
sources for everything needed.

It took him around 2 hours to process a batch, but the cost was minimal and
the results were up to Kodak's best.  He told us how, when his wife invited
people he was not overly fond of in for the evening, he'd take movies when
they first turned up and then disappear into the basement to work his
magic.  Before they left, he would show them Kodachrome 16mm movies of
themselves arriving!

Not only did he have fun with his hobby, it got him out of awkward visits! ;-)

He ran a roll of 35mm through while we watched - so don't tell me it can't
be done. I've seen it with my own two eyes.

Afterwards we wrote an outline for an article and sent it to Modern, but we
never heard from them and that's where it was left.  But somewhere I still
have some old b+w prints of his lab, though I think the article has long
been lost.

We were just kids then, and he was OLD (say, 45~50); so I doubt he's with
us today.  But I'm pretty sure he's somewhere - watching - and chuckling at
us all.  :-)

David Young        | Experience gained varies directly
Victoria, CANADA   | with equipment ruined.

Replies: Reply from David Young <youngs@islandnet.com> ([Leica] Re: The Kodachrome Solution)
Reply from Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com> (Re: [Leica] The Kodachrome Solution)