Subject: a good value? (was: Re: [Leica] leica 35-70 /2.8)
From: "telyt@earthlink.net" <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:47:28 -0500

Joseph Yao <joseph@yao.com> wrote:

> I must confess I have a very poor understanding for this 'value' thingy.  I
> am more interested in quality.  I am just very heartened Leica are now
> offering this lens again, the price is really not a concern.

One side of my brain reminds me that in the long run the biggest expense for *photographers* (vs. collectors) is consumables like film and processing; given this reality it makes a lot of sense to get the most out of the film by using the best possible equipment (assuming exemplary technique).  For really prolific photographers the cost of the equipment relative to the cost of consumables is negligible.

The other side of my brain looks at the initial outlay and screams.  Do I really need that last 5% of quality for hand-held snapshots of the kids when I need to keep a good stock of tools and vital automotive fluids stashed in the back of my old minivan?  I'll compromise on the family snapshots in order to keep some Kodachrome behind the Telyts.

Individual circumstances will tell us whether a particular piece of equipment is a good value.  There's no objective scorecard for "value".  I've got a pretty good idea which side of the brain the Dr. Yao is using :)

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://mail2web.com/ .