Subject: [Leica] A Godsend
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 17:12:49 EST

Yes, i too saw the X3 chip story in Newsweek.It was a good article since I
did not know that bascially many pixels get wasted on current digital
cameras because of the way the chip filters red,blue, and yellow.

If the X3 improves digital cameras, that a great step for digital.
However, I'm not moving to digital yet, scanning my Leica neg's and slides
works just fine for me. Maybe when there is a a digital M that takes all the
current Leica lenses, I'll think about it. --Chris Williams
Chris,

I did some research on the Foveon X3 technology. It is impressive, if what
Foveon says is true. I know that Kodak has been talking to Foveon about using
their system. Foveon already has a reflex on the market. X3 does resemble
color film. What is even more important concerns the fact that the X3
requires very little corrective circuits. So power is saved.

Even if the X3 chip equals film resolution, I don't think that's the decisive
factor in shifting to digital. I believe it's the apparent simplicity of film
and the public perception that it is tangible (the cassette), trustworthy,
fast, and economical over the years that can't be discounted.

Also, I don't think the average consumer is going to keep digital image files
for very long. So quality digital reprints will be a problem. Almost everyone
who owns a digital camera also uses a film camera. Which one the consumer
will choose is the question. Since I don't own a digital camera yet, I can't
even speak for myself on this choice when the chips are down. I've used my
friends' digitals and gotten some good images, but you need to know how to
run a computer to really produce a good print. I'm always amazed about how
little folks know about the computer they use online. So it's the dragshadow
that is part of general digital technology that will determine the popularity
of digital To the pro it is a godsend.

br