Subject: RE: [Leica] X3 Chip - End of Conventional Film?? (Off-Topic)
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 21:55:56 -0500

> I know the technical principals of Foveon. If anybody in the
> world can do this, they can do it: they are at the very top of
> the profession of radical innovation in custom integrated
> circuits. I don't know enough about the field to have an opinion
> about whether the X3/Foveon chip is inrinsically possible, but I
> know that if anybody in the world can do it, Carver and Jim can.

I don't doubt their brilliance, but I do question their hype.  At a lecture
at CMU, Carver made an unqualified "claim".  He said he makes prints 40"
with the new Foveon sensor, and gave no details, and I guess figured that a
bunch of CMUers couldn't do the arithmetic, and it would just "float" right
by them.  Well, given the sensor is 2268 x 1512, it comes out to a little
less than 60 pixels per inch to the printer.  Anyone get a decent print from
60 PPI to the printer?  Now, I think in the interest of "full" disclosure,
if he used Genuine Fractals, or some up-rezzing technology, he should state
such.

If this sensor is so great, then why the need to exaggerate, as well as make
up problems  with other technologies that have long been solved?  At least
for me, it makes me question the legitimacy of their, possibly, real claims.

Austin