Subject: Re: [Leica] X3 Chip - End of Conventional Film?? (Off-Topic)
From: John Brownlow <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 17:44:30 -0500

On 4/3/02 4:59 PM, "Brian Reid" <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> wrote:

> I know the technical principals of Foveon. If anybody in the world can do
> this, they can do it: they are at the very top of the profession of radical
> innovation in custom integrated circuits. I don't know enough about the field
> to have an opinion about whether the X3/Foveon chip is inrinsically possible,
> but I know that if anybody in the world can do it, Carver and Jim can.

Yes, I've heard the same thing from lots of different sources. People speak
incredibly highly of the brains behind Foveon. The X3 is certainly
*possible*, in fact I think it's shipping. It will be interesting to see how
much of its promise it delivers. All of it I hope. If so, Sigma will become
a force to be reckoned with in the world of camera manufacturers.

(Supposedly Sigma picked up the license because Nikon turned it down).
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com