Subject: Re: [Leica] Did Leica miss the boat on the M7 viewfinder?
From: "Jeffrey Frankel" <jfrankel@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:03:32 -0500

Everybody is missing the point

If you shoot chromes and view them via projector, the ability to frame
precisely as you need, creates the need for a RF zoom.
Many of us do not do our own print processing.  Our composition is dependent
upon either our feet or a zoom lens or custom enlargement.

Once you've accepted this need, then look at the other objections:

Sure you can cover the range adequately with about 5 or 6 prime lenses,
How many of those lenses available on ebay for a song were damaged because
the lens cover came off while in your pocket?
What about the cost of those 5 or 6 lenses.  Figure..what... about $5,000 to
7,000+ for the set?  If Leica sold a zoom at $3,000  it would be a bargain.

Forget about compromised quality.  If Leica can make a quality 35 - 70 for
the R system, they can certainly make one for the M system.
Low light and slow lens.?...no problem.  you are focusing via rangefinder.
No darkened focusing screens like a SLR.
Worried about a dimmed viewfinder?  If Leica can make a F1 Noctilux, they
can certainly design and build a bright zoom viewfinder that can also zoom.

Could you imagine the criticisms when Leica went to a combination
viewfinder!   Combine the focus and frame in the same view!!!!@@!
.  I can just hear the cognoscente of the time say "What would that do to
our "Bright" view Finder".  Leave my IIIF alone.  You can keep that New
fangled M series!"

All I'm saying is that maybe Leica should think outside the box once in
awhile.  Why give market share to Contax?  "Let them go buy Contax" is an
attitude that will surely keep Leica in financial trouble.

Jeff

Not just trolling...just challenging Leica to be the very best in a very
competitive business.

Message from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: [Leica] Did Leica miss the boat on the M7 viewfinder?)