Subject: Re: [Leica] Did Leica miss the boat on the M7 viewfinder?
From: "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 09:37:46 -0600

All--
I'm getting into this a bit late. Sorry.
I find the idea of a zoom viewfinder to be silly at best. Forget about it.
HOWEVER.
Javier is absolutely correct when he says the M-system is useless and
irrelevant. I'm surprised there wasn't more agreement with that
assessment.
For MOST PHOTOGRAPHERS it is useless and irrelevant. Walk in your
friendly camera store (or where photographers gather) and ask any
photographer about Leica M cameras. They'll say that they are 'nice'
cameras but have no idea how to use them or what they even do. The
camera is seen as one that's 'old' and eccentric. At best, they might
be vaguely aware that HCB used Leicas. Even the camera store owner
probably doesn't have a clue as the M cameras other than, 1) they are
expensive and hard to sell and 2) Leica USA is difficult at best to
deal with. If you're talking to a 'pro' he will tell you that he use
to own an M4 but got rid of it
There certainly are groups (LUG, some photojournalists, for instance)
that are true believers. Heck, I'm a true believer in Ms having owned
them since 1966.
That said, I just got back from photographing a skimboarding
tournament in Cocoa Beach Florida. Thirty eight rolls of film and 34
(E100vs) were shot with an F5. Sorry, but I needed the motor at eight
frames/second (occasionally), 80-200, a 300, matrix metering, and
SB28 flash. Manual focus though.
Most photographers want their Canon/Nikon/WhateverFlex with some zoom
lenses and auto-everything. They have no use for a Leica M. It IS
useless and irrelevant to most.
best,
John Fulton
Fort Worth