Subject: Re: [Leica] Did Leica miss the boat on the M7 viewfinder?
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 19:28:19 -03-30

>     The few "pros" that I still know are paid so poorly
>that they cannot afford an expensive camera.  They are
>smart enough to know that a percentage of their "earnings"
>has to pay for the amortization of the equipment.  And what
>is the point of "that Leica sharpness" when their work goes
>on newsprint through a 60 or 80 line dot screen? Or its
>digital equivalent....
>     I know several people who quit when they realized that
>they were NOT being paid enough to cover the wear and tear
>on their equipment.
>     A small city I previously lived in ( about 45,000
>including surrounding area) had seven full time studios
>when I moved there.  Mostly weddings and portrait stuff.
>Now there are only two left full time, a few part-time, and
>some "moonlighting" wedding photographers.
>     I am curious.  Is there anyone on the LUG who earns his
>living solely as a photographer ?  No part time school
>teachers, or students part-timing. No semi-retired
>photographers.  No second jobs.
>     Only a full time PJ or studio phnotographer.
>
>     Anyone here qualify?

Of course,

As others have already said.

I'll add my 25 years as a working pro in large and small markets.
Newspapers, magazines and corporate/ industrial.

Simply put, if you want to be recognized as being a professional you have
to turn out professional work. Professional tools help you do that.
If you are a lousy photographer good cameras won't make you successful. If
you are a good photographer, good tools will give your work that little
extra spark.

Also, it doesn't matter where my work is displayed, I don't have much
interest in producing substandard material.
One thing about being a professional is taking pride in your craft.

If you only know a "few" small market photographers maybe you should not be
drawing conclusions about the profession.
The reality is if you want to be successful you have to be A/ good at it
and B/ be able to market your service or product.

...and it is not only about technical issues or superiority. Leica M's,
because of the size and construction, often allow many photographers to
capture images that would not be possible with other cameras. Either
because of their quiet, unobtrusiveness or their ruggedness that allows
them to function in harsh environments that would kill plastic cameras.

The ability to bring back pictures when no one else can, or BETTER
pictures, is the mark of a professional who has the talent and knowledge of
what tools to select.

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland
www.greglocke.com
PictureDesk International ....NEWS PICTURES ONLINE!
www.pdiphotos.com