Subject: Re: [Leica] Printing C-41 black/white
From: William Gower <w_gower@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 18:33:24 -0600

> On 4/6/02 dennersten@netch.se wrote:
>
>> Yesterday i tried to print some XP2 (black and white with the C41
>> process) negatives. There are a very weak red tone on the negatives
>> which does'nt look nice. How can i get rid of it ? I tried to run the
>> printer in only black and white mode. But that did'nt work. I tried to
>> find something in photoshop but with no luck.
>
> It is *very* hard to get rid of these kinds of color casts.
>
> One way is to experiment with converting to a duotone before printing. I
> forget the exact settings that work well but there are lots of
> references
> on the web. You don't get a particularly neutral print but you lose the
> obnoxious crossovers.

Sure, duotones work well, but I pity the fool who doesn't have a well
calibrated monitor trying to print B+W as duotones.

If not, you'll go insane and/or waste a whole box of paper trying for a
near neutral print.

PhotoShop has folders with dozens of duotones in them - they are a good
starting point. Try Black, Pantone Warm Gray 10CV and 422CV.

Best of luck

William