Subject: Re: [Leica] 2 quick replies
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 10:21:55 -0500

B.D. sez:

Then Greg Locke writes:

> I've heard it described as similar to when photography "displaced"
> painting. Many said it would be the end of painting and illustration.
> ...and it did in the "hobbiest" world.  Painting and illustration became
> more "art" then commercial application.
>
> The coming of digital photography will make chemical photography more of an
> art form. In essence, returning it to it roots. Digital will become the
> tool of commercial illustration and imaging.

I remember 20+ years ago in the world of cinema when video was starting to
come in, that film would be dead in just 5 years. Now film still seems to be
doing well with 75% of prime time TV shot on film, Hollywood features are
still the exclusive domain of 35mm (despite HDTV/digital being around for
many years), a 3 to 6 month waiting list to buy a $150,000 Aaton or Arri
16mm camera. Despite the gains of digital still cameras, 35mm still cameras
and film sales showed a 6% increase last year.

I am not arguing against digital, just saying that there is a HUGE
infrastructure built around film cameras that is not going away any time
soon.

sl