Subject: Re: [Leica] Has Leica ever offered a student discount program?
From: David Degner <ddegner@morris.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 13:37:37 -0400

Mathew I feel your pain.  As a fellow student who loves and uses Leicas you
have to drop large chunks of money at times.  I have not found any truly
cheap way to get leica equipment but there are a few relatively cheap
pieces of equipment that you can start with and add the expensive stuff
when you can (always have a list to give to parents for birthdays and
Christmas :)).  For a body there are two ways to go 1)I would suggest an
M4-2 body, the collectors hate them, so they are cheaper about $600-$700,
watch out for quality and read up on them a little though. 2) An M3 body,
freshly serviced,  There is absolutely nothing as smooth soft or quite as
my M3 after I got it back from Sherry, the perfect leica piece ( if you
don't mind slower loading and unloading).  It just makes you want to melt
when using it, and its great for 50+mm lenses.  As for buying lenses; the
first one I would get is the 50mm ASPH you can get a good used one for
about $600 I found one for $500, the cheapest sharpest modern lens in the
bunch.  After that it all depends on your style and what you are using your
equipment for.  Remember you'll only have to buy these things once in your
life so don't be afraid to go the next step up.  Good luck.  Where are you
going to college?  I'm off to western Kentucky next year.

David Degner