Subject: [Leica] RE: After a month: R8 vs D30
From: "Felix Lopez de Maturana" <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 20:42:37 +0200

<The D30 can take some pretty nice photographs! But it is high maintenance
in
<terms of the thought process required to run the camera. The R8 can take
some
<pretty nice photographs also. But the designers seem to have thought out
what
<you NEED and made it available and easy to use.

Adam

As I am a user of the D30 I have read your mail in detail. Yes you are
comparing apples and oranges. One of the finest manual focus SLR with a
medium class digital SLR. A comparison with a Nikon D1x or a Canon 1D would
habe been much better. But really the D30 can take some pretty nice
pictures, I know! In fact the only book I have sold in my life, I'm not a
pro,  was shooted with a Canon D30! But I cannot agree about ergonomics. I
feel that modern SLR cameras like Canon EOS has very few buttons and in some
minutes you get it. Perhaps I change so often of system that I'm used to
many different buttons in many different cameras but I can get most of so
many possibilities than I do prefer that. And of course, nor Leica nor any
other manufaturer will never know what so many different kinds of users
NEED. Better say that a R8, I used it for some weeks and I didn't like it,
is made as per YOUR needs.

Kind regards

Felix

PS. No problem with many buttons in M cameras. I focus manually, I meter
manually, I bracket manually, I load film manually not añways at first time
, and I like it...