Subject: [Leica] OT old macs (was: ...student discount program)
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:20:37 -0400 (EDT)

i guess i am a little older.  my first mac was the original 1984
8MHz model, 128K ram, 800K floppy and imagewriter, purchased under the apple
university consortium (via columbia).  i think it was something like
$2,500.    this was when i was a grad student; generally the most practical
thing it was useful for was dialing up the university dec-20's with
a 1200 baud modem connected to the serial input.  compiling was impractical;
i recall you really needed a Lisa II to cross-develop for the mac (in
pascal).  this relic is sitting in my basement... last time i tried, it booted
up just fine.

our latest mac is the wife's 600MHz ibook--a sweet little thing.

- -rei

> From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
>
> >I dont;l even see how a financially  average student can rationalize a $1500
> >camera and $1000 lenses next to the Nikon at 1/2 the camera body and 1/3 the
> >lens prices....
> >Frank Filippone
>

> I know plenty of students who begged, borrowed, stole, and/or took out
> student loans to buy discounted Macs (which even with student discounts
> costs thousands of dollars) from their university computer store, rather
> than pick up less expensive PCs. And this to do basic word processing and
> spread sheet stuff for which a decent PC would have been more than adequate.
>
> Guy (who bought his first Mac [an SE] with a dot-matrix printer for about
> $3000. in 1988, while still a starving student)

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com