Subject: [Leica] leica box question
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 00:50:55 EDT

i am sure some rabid leica collector on this list will know the answer to
this:

I recently acquired an entire IIIf (red dial) outfit that included a Leica
display case that I do not know what it was used to contain.

It is metal, red fake leather covered with "Leica" in script on the top. It
is spring loaded hinged, with pinkish-silk and red felt insides and Leica and
E. Leitz Inc. NY on the inside lid. The lid opens on the back long side.

 Outside dimensions are 7 inches long, 4 inches wide  and 2 1/2 inches tall
at the tallest. It has a space inset in the bottom of the inside for whatever
it contained which is 5 1/8inches long and 2 1/2 inches wide and straight
smooth sided -- no cutouts for camera knobs or whatever, and it is only 1/4
inch deep, not deep enough for a lens or anything. The box is held closed
with a snap that is attached to the top lid with a strip of leather. The top
half of the box is rounded on the corners.

In all, quite the expensive box. Very spiffy, made t contain something expens
ive which, it being Leitz, could mean the lens cap, but you know what I mean.

The space for the object it contained is too small for a Leica IIIf. Nothing
else in the outfit (2 lenses, buncha other accessories) would seem to fit.
Person I got ithe whole shebang from a little old lady who only drove it to
church on sundays, (no kidding) and who had no idea, she hadn't looked at the
outfit in years. If the box is the same age as everything else it would be
dated 1953 or so, but she also had a leica dealer notebook that included
information on the M3, so it could go as late as 1956 or 1957, certainly no
later. After that she went back to using her Kodak pony.

Anyone?

Please respond off-line if you can -- I don't always remember to check the
digest, but will try since I asked it a question.

thanks

charlie trentelman
ogden
utah