Subject: [Leica] Re: Cibas vs Digital prints
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:02:44 -0700

The P3 chemistry that I use is basically odorless, all clear (no nasty
ferricyanide or the like), and lasts easily six months in my processor
without even a hint of going bad. I mix 15 liters at a time and use it as
needed until all 15 liters are used. Then I mix another 15 liters. I've
never had to dispose of unused P3 chemistry. As I said, I've used a single
batch for a period of six months (June-December 2001) and the filter pack
didn't change.

Since Ciba now comes in three contrasts, masks are rarely needed. They are
needed in commercial labs since they all use Ilfochrome Rapid which only
comes in the high contrast (labeled normal) version. Ilfochrome Classic
comes in low, medium, and normal (high) contrast versions.

The medium and low contrast emulsions have tamed the color spectrum in that
everything gets equal billing.

Jim