Subject: Re: [Leica] No! No!, Erwin!
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:40:14 -0800

>I would suggest that it is quite bizarre - and I use the word advisedly -
>that someone who has chosen to publically hold himself out as an expert on a
>subject - to the point of having a book published on that subject - would
>withdraw from public because a few "oafs" have criticized him. If every
>expert, or author, behaved the same way when critized virtually no one would
>ever publish a second book, or write about any subject after their first
>publication.
>
>Very, very bizarre indeed.
>
>B. D. Colen

I don't think it's the fact that Erwin's work was criticized that he's shut
down his newsletter. In fact - and for me this is the truly sad and
revealing point - no one in this forum ever really "criticizes" his work,
if what we mean by that is that other informed points of view are offered
in order to challenge his findings, and engage him and others in some form
of meaningful dialogue that we all stand to learn from.

It's more likely the belittling, condescending, personal remarks that he is
generally greeted with every time his name comes up on the LUG that have
pushed him to stop. The remark in question - "The Word of the Lord" - is
typical of the snide references to him and his writings on the part of
Luggers who for
whatever reasons look down on who he is and what he does, and feel the need
to share their childish observations with the rest of the list.

That such folk seem to be driven to put Erwin down - every single time -
for no apparent reason, now THAT I find bizarre.

Guy

Replies: Reply from "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com> (Re: [Leica] No! No!, Erwin!)