Subject: [Leica] Re: The loss of any member is a loss for us all
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 07:04:44 -0500

Karina:

>I was on the Greenspan website/forum
>this morning and the news of Erwin's resignation has been blamed entirely on
>LUG.

So?  In my opinion--and I know that my post here won't change anybody
else's--the LUG is not to blame.  What do I care if some faceless people I
don't know think that the entire LUG is at fault?

This isn't a LUG-caused issue.  One person typed an unnecessary insult.  It
could have been on any mailing list or in any forum.  It turns out that it
was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.  So if we want to
place blame, should we place it on that insult?  No.  That was just one
instance.  There were just too many instances and Erwin decided it wasn't
worth his grief anymore.  It's not like he was squeaky clean, either.

He seemed to do pretty good at dishing back insults from the security of his
read-only list.  In my opinion--and again I'm not going to change anybody
else's mind--that's worse than hashing it out in a public forum.  Attack
somebody but don't allow rebuttals.  I don't understand why Erwin just
didn't ignore the crap and continue doing what he does so well.

It's easier to criticize than create work worth criticizing.  So there will
always be more critics than people producing work.  I don't remember who
said it, but I'm going to steal the line, anyway.  :)  Erwin needs to
remember that they never build statues in honor of the critics.  (And even
once you have a statue, some pigeon will always fly along and take a crap on
it.)

Eric

Replies: Reply from Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> (Re: [Leica] Re: The loss of any member is a loss for us all)
Reply from "Karina Klaas" <shutterbug@iinet.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Re: The loss of any member is a loss for us all)