Subject: Re: [Leica] Flying with fiim
From: bourgeois and biblical <bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 16:59:26 -0500

bd:

> I go through the scanner - no wand, no shoe check - and then I sat and
> read
> a book for 40 minutes while some kid, and I use the word advisedly,
> examined
> each and everyone of the 70 rolls. He tried using one of the explosive
> swipes for three or four rolls before putting it through the machine,
> but
> his supervisor "caught him" and made him use a fresh swipe for every
> roll.
> Meanwhile, my equipment case went through the machine without even a
> second
> look - no hand check, no nothing.

last week my wife and i went to chicago--where we met the incredibly
generous greg rubenstein--so she could interview for a law school
fellowship and we could look for an apartment.  i had all my
film--t400cn, delta 3200, tmax 3200, and supra 800, in a lead bag, and i
just sent it through the scanner.  we made it through birmingham
security in five minutes.

on the way back, we made it to midway at 4:58 for a 5:00 flight.  we
made it through midway security in about five minutes, where the
"technician" running the x-ray machine was too busy looking at her
talonesque fingernails to watch the screen.  i could have ridden through
on the conveyor belt myself, and she'd have seen nary a bone in my
body.  we then ran through the airport, making it onto our flight
because famously-ontime southwest was running about fifteen minutes
late, and they opened up the door to let us on.

so far, i've processed all the TCN and the delta 3200.  no streaking, no
fogging.  i'm sure i'll keep doing this until i get burned.  then i'll
go through the rigamarole of hand inspection.

and, even though they were late, soutwest is still my favorite airline.
bar none.

- --
brad daly
bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net
http://www.bigfatpipe.net/~bwdaly
http://www.bigfatpipe.net/~bwdaly/paw.html

"America sells everything with sex and then recoils when presented with
the realities of natural process."
	--Jock Sturges

"War, what is it good for?  It's good for business."
	--Billy Bragg

All my family problems disappeared overnight.
We're all takin' Zoloft, and everything is fine.
My sister's teen angst just flew out the window.
Momma's so happy, she laughs all the time.
	--Patterson Hood