Subject: Re: [Leica] National Geographic
From: Claudia Gerard <geeman1066@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 23:50:33 -0500

Pete,
	A lovely shot, with great lighting and lots of planes.  A textbook
example of how to convey depth in two-dimensions.
	I'm gratified by the discussion of shooting styles and techniques
in this thread.  I find that my technique is evolving to resemble this
method.  I see a situation develop, I picture the shot I want, and then
I shoot every time it seems like the situation may enfold.  For example,
today I was sitting, camera in lap, while my wife talked to my aunt.  I
noticed that each time she turned to face my wife, the sun lit up her
face in profile. However, because the sun was going in her eyes, she
assiduously avoided turning to look at my wife.  I had to wait about ten
minutes for my shot, and rather than sitting there with my camera at my
eye, which would have drawn too much attention to the fact that I was
taking pictures, I dropped it to my chest.  Bottom line, I missed the
shot a couple of times, may have gotten it five or six times, and even
shot one from the chest.  Any suggestions from the LUG on how I might
have done this differently, or was I right in working this way?
Regards,
Michael Gerard
geeman1066@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> ([Leica] WAS: National Geographic now: kEEPING CAMERA TO EYE)