Subject: Re: [Leica] U.S. custom laws
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 22:57:13 -0700

Don't worry about US customs.  They couldn't care less about your cameras.
I routinely travel all over the world with that much and more, and never
have a problem.  The US Customs officers at airports seem mostly interested
in drugs and box cutters these days.

If you're really concerned, make a list of your gear, with serial numbers,
and take it to any customs office.  For that many items, you can probably
get them to stamp and sign your printed list.  Every time I've done this,
the customs people act as if I'm wasting their time.  Basically, you just
want to be able to prove that you bought the stuff in the US.  Puchase
receipts will do just as well.

But I'd be very surprised if they say anything at all.

- --Jim