Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: US Customs
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:38:03 -0700

US Customs form #4457 is actually more useful outside the US than when
returning to the US.  On London Bombay, we had so much gear that it took up
2 typed pages.  Form 4457 is quite small, so the customs people here in
Seattle just stamped my printed sheets as well as the 4457, on which they
wrote "see attached".

Anyway, this documentation came in handy at several Middle Eastern land
borders, not to mention India.  Official looking forms like that from US
Customs carry alot of weight, we found.  So, whenever there was a question
about some equipment we didn't bother to declare on entering a country, we'd
just show them the stamped and signed 4457 and they would be satisfied.

You'll find that many countries have rules about how many cameras and how
much film you can bring in.  Ignore these, as they are never enforced.  I
never declare any of my equipment unless specifically asked by a customs
agent.  If you are asked, be forthright and do as they say.  If not, just
keep moving and act like a dumb tourist.

So, Henry, don't be shy about flashing the 4457 around overseas.  When
questioned about your equipment on leaving a country, it shows that you left
the US with it.  Be sure to make a bunch of copies, so you can leave them
with the official in question.  Make them color, so the red Customs stamp
shows up.

- --Jim Laurel