Subject: [Leica] Re: WAS: National Geographic now: kEEPING CAMERA TO EYE
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 06:29:20 -0500

Ted wrote to Michael:

>Besides the first time you put camera to eye and focused you created an
>awareness in the subject that you're taking her picture, but if you leave
>the camera there, never moving it she then doesn't know whether you are
>shooting or not. And in many cases like this most lay people think they have
>to see a flash to take the picture. No flash is best as they quickly forget
>and get on with the conversation.

Sometimes I'll burn a few shots even though the light isn't right.  Get them
used to the idea that you're taking pictures and that you're part of the
landscape.  Us erect primates have learned through millions of years that we
need to pay attention to changes in our environment.  Whether it's the
up-down movement of a camera or shutter clicking where there was silence.
Or even silence where there was shutter clicking.  (Diagonal movements draw
the most attention.)

Make sure you're not near the end of a roll when you start.  If so, put in a
fresh roll.  Don't worry about using each roll completely.  It's better to
have some blank film at the end of a roll than to miss the best action just
as your subjects become comfortable with you there.

If you're really wanting to conserve film, shoot some "rolls" with no film
in the camera to help warm up your subjects.  I've seen this work before.
But I'm of the belief that film is cheap and my time is valuable.  I'd
rather "waste" film than time.

Eric

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> ([Leica] WAS: National Geographic now: kEEPING CAMERA TO EYE)