Subject: Re: [Leica] U.S. custom laws
From: "Doug Lee" <drlee9@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:39:23 -0400

Good point. Your story reminded me of a similar story I was told by a former
field tech for Concurrent Computer Systems. He and a co-worker had to fly to
some South American country along with over 50,000 USD worth of test
equipment to troubleshoot and repair some systems for one of Concurrent's
resellers. The reseller failed to post the necessary bond to get the
equipment into the country. So, when my friend arrived he was stopped by
customs. The reseller offered a bribe which apparently was not enough as
customs confiscated the equipment. The equipment was returned after the
reseller posted bond equal to the value of the equipment. The bond was
ultimately forfeited when the equipment left the country with my friend on
his return to the US. (The reseller screwed up again, but I forget the
details.)

So, you might want to check with those countries you plan to visit to see
what they do or do not allow into their country.

- -Doug