Subject: [Leica] Too serious...
From: Claudia Gerard <geeman1066@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 21:58:46 -0500

	Another good professor/exam question story--possibly an urban
myth--that I heard.  A group of students went to see a game against an
archrival.  Their team won, they decided to stick around and drink, and
missed the scheduled test the next morning as they slept off their
hangovers.  Upon returning, they approached their chemistry teacher,
told him that they had missed the test because their car had gotten a
flat tire, and they had to stay over in order to get the tire fixed.
The professor was sympathetic, and offered a make up exam the following
day at 3:00 pm.  The students arrived, and were placed in four separate
classrooms, at which time they were given the following exam paper:

1.  What is the atomic number of carbon?  (5 points)

2.  Which tire?  (95 points)

	On a related note, I can tell those of you who have read "Bartleby
the Scrivener," (an earlier thread) that a friend of mine once turned in
a paper that read only, "I would prefer not to," in response to the
professor's question.  He did NOT receive an A.  The professor, a
legendary one at my college who recently retired, pulled him aside and
said, "This is really good, but if I give it an A and word gets out,
I'll get a hundred of these next semester."  He gave my friend another
week to prepare an alternate version. Not an urban myth--I saw him turn
in the paper myself.  ;-)
Regards,
Michael Gerard
geeman1066@earthlink.net