Subject: [Leica] FW: Couple R8 questions
From: "Cochran, Adam" <Adam.Cochran@caltech.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:45:51 -0700

Victor  - -  I can only speak to the questions of which I have direct
knowledge.
1) Which lenses are consider to be the best or must have in R line? . . . .
>>> In addition to the 100 APO, my experience has been that the 70-180
Vario-APO Elmarit is superb if you can carry the weight, and the Vario-Elmar
80-200 f4 is nearly its equal if you want a lighter telephoto.  The
Summicron 90R is an old lens, but one of the best portrait lenses from my
experience and that of others on this list.  My favorite, however, is the
pre-modular Telyt 280/2.8 (without the filter drawer) that I had converted
to ROM (which was probably not necessary).
4) In last Viewfider one reader comments was: R8 is difficult to focus with
wide angle lenses . . . .
>>>I have never had a problem focusing tele lenses with an R8, and with wide
angle lenses the focusing is not critical and I have not had a problem.
5) Does the 2x APO  extender preserves quality of APO f2 or f2.8 R lenses?
Is it any drawback by using 2x extender on APO lenses, beside reduction of
light transferred to the film?
>>> I have used both the 1.4 and 2x APO extenders and have never had a
problem with a reduction in quality, as long as you realize that you need to
compensate for the increased focal length with a higher shutter speed.  If
you would like, you can see sports shots taken with the 280/2.8 Telyt/2x APO
extender at www.adacochran.com <http://www.adamcochran.com>  .

Adam