Subject: [Leica] Re:OT: XP experiences
From: "Victor Wek" <photvictor@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 20:21:37 +0000

In North America XP Home edition version has to be resister via Internet or
phone with Microsoft. It is one computer license. They take snap shot of
your motherboard and partition and store in database. Any changes in that
area (i.e your C: drive died) and you will have problems. You will get
message like “your activation key is not valid, please use another one”. XP
pro version does not have this activation issue. I did not try to use
“Ghost” program for home XP to check more.
There are not many device drivers for XP, generally old devices will not
work on XP. You have to download XP drivers from particular company web
site. Sometimes when devices are old you can not get any XP driver. This is
marketing, they force you to buy a new stuff.
On Microsoft web site there is a page about activation procedure (quite
dry):
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/overviews/activation.asp
  or
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/evaluate/xpactiv.asp

Victor

From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Subject: [Leica] OT: XP experiences

I am posting to both lists since there are knowledgeable people
everywhere...

Later this week I will buy a new computer. It will be a Wintel machine,
since I need to use it for both "real work" and my photo stuff. I have
the option of buying an off-the-shelf machine with XP Home editional
preinstalled, or having it custom-made, in which case I can of course
install whatever OS I want. The one thing that concerns me about XP is
the registration requirement and the possibility that at some point the
program will think that this is a new computer and will not let me
install some accessory or upgrade. Am I being paranoid? I would like to
hear from people who have XP computers and who have subsequently
installed things like extra SCSI cards etc.

Also, what is the situation with new drivers for peripherals like the
Nikon LS2000, Epson 2450 scanners, and Epson 700, 1200 and 1160
printers? Any special problems in the XP context?

TIA.

Nathan