Subject: DVD was Re: [Leica] Ansel Adams on PBS TV
From: "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 18:24:21 -0400

I'm not sure who is replying to whom, but I'll take another shot at it.  It
is true that the disks are encoded with a geographic zone and a chip inside
a player can decide not to play a disk from another zone.  The standard is
designed to work like this, although as some have said there are ways around
this.

It is true that what is encoded onto a DVD is just bits.  Those bits are
decoded by the DVD player into analog video signals.  If a particular piece
of video is recorded in the NTSC (American) standard with 525 lines running
at 30 frames per second it will not play on an ordinary European DVD player
with PAL circuitry (625 lines at 25 fps) unless it is specifically designed
to do so.  If it could play the video the TV or monitor would not recognize
it unless it was a special, multi-standard, TV.  A computer with a DVD
player in it could probably play back video recorded with either standard.

The DVD authoring software insists that if you are going to make a PAL disc
you supply it with PAL video.  It won't convert it for you.

Mike D