Subject: Re: [Leica] On a roll
From: "Bill Harting" <wharting@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 16:30:17 -0400

First off, I like your photo of the kids a lot. The picture has the
immediacy and energy of the subject.
But I guess I had assumed that Klein's look -- grain, in-your-face subjects
and deep shadow and highlight -- was as much a consequence of his materials
and lighting choices as a conscious style that he worked at. I find myself
at first imitating those whose work I admire, then reacting against it as I
zigzag toward doing something that could be described as my own. But my own
current (and long time) choices, a 50mm Summicron and TriX and subjects
lurking in lighting that is f2 at an 8th, end up yielding results similar to
Klein

Could be worse, I guess. At least as long as I keep away from eroded
East-coast beach rocks.

bh