Subject: [Leica] RE: [hexarRF] Film register problems for everyone?!
From: "Merritt, Robert" <MerrittR1@ING-AFS.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:08:08 -0400

Dante -- Fascinating.  No doubt your choice of mountain-dwelling repairman
was deliberate, in light of previous discussions?

I'm still scratching my head about whether longer lenses or wides are where
the film register problems manifest themselves; there's been plenty of
debate on this, and I expect this will create more.

I'm also puzzling over why a die-cast camera body will exhibit the same
general behavior as an engine block, which of course is subject to far
greater stress and isn't made of the same materials, but I'll take his word
for it that it's true.  I would have thought that materials would have
improved in the 45+ years between when a Leica IIIc was made and a Hexar RF,
such that the dreaded shrinkage would not occur.

Finally, do we have any ideas on what constitutes an "early" Hexar RF?  I
think the serial numbers for the RF begin with 140001.  Mine is 144480 and
seems to be OK, though I certainly have never had it formally checked out or
the film register measured.  Perhaps we can get some sort of listing of
numbers from RF owners and figure out when (if) the problem got fixed, based
on who's had problems and who has not.

Nick