Subject: [Leica] Kyle's Protégé--an introduction (yes, it's long)
From: "Scott Squire" <scott_squire@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 06:18:09 +0000

Esteemed LUG,

Well, now that Kyle has formally outed me, I guess it's only fair that I
introduce myself. I'm Scott Squire, a longtime LUG lurker. I've kept quiet
largely because I am here to learn, to absorb, and because until recently I
didn't own a Leica anything (well, except some lovely, much-thumbed promo
literature).

Those interested among you have seen some of my pictures, in all their
jaypegged glory. I make few claims to greatness and neither will I try and
excuse the work. It is what it is and it's out there because I think it's
*fairly* reflective of what I'm about as a photographer.

I'm getting better all the time. Sincere, no-punches-pulling career
photographer/editor friends have been saying good things about my stuff, but
it's obvious to both you and me that there's a next level I need to get to.
That's why I'm here.

The good Mr. Stevens correctly surmised that most of it is shot through
Nikkor glass (good eye, man). Probably two-thirds that and one third Hexar
AF. Exactly zero of those pictures are Legendary, in the Leica sense.

I think in this context it bears mentioning that I did recently become the
pretty happy owner of a humble Leica CL with 40mm Summicron. I like it, but
it's clearly a stepping stone camera (body, at least--I will prolly keep the
lens). Spent a day shooting an M6 recently and Liked It Very Much Indeed.

Note, however, that nobody's ever seen me hanging around Nikon shooters'
lists. I'd be happy to entertain questions about my gear philosophies at
length offlist, but for now, suffice it to say that there is some risk that
my F100 kit might be going up for sale to finance an M6TTL, 35 +75 'Lux and
15 Voigt (plus my little 40 for a carry lens) sometime next year.

Now then, as to the quite reasonable questions of who the heck I am and how
on earth y'all might know if I have the proverbial fire in my belly...

1) I have a resume and proposal ready for your consumption; these should
give some idea of the nuts-and-bolts answers to these questions. I don't
want to clog up the list's bandwidth, but if I get the go-word from you,
I'll either post these, or email them individually to interested parties.

2) FIRE. What does it mean? I'll start by correcting a miscue. I'm not 24
like Kyle inadvertently implied, but 34. I'm a quick study but a deep
learner, and an avid-thorough doer. Right now I am positively drunk with
anticipation, giddy at the thought of spending weeks living in the sewer
making pictures and friends and watching my back and hanging film in a
foreign bathroom and dirtying the knees of my trousers in the name of The
Story. And getting it out there!

When I came to journalism school, I thought there was a fair chance I'd be
just crossing another thing off the list--you know, the big list of Things
You Think You Might Like to Do With Your Life. Well, I'm a year into a
Master's now, and while I'm no Master, I do know that I won't be crossing
this off anytime soon. My idealism, against all expectations, hasn't flown
out the window. I still believe it is possible for a humble storyteller to
make a living AND do some kind of Capital-G Good in the world.

I had the good fortune recently to discuss photography and human rights at
length on separate occasions with three of the modern-day greats--Susan
Meiselas, Gilles Peress, and Sebastiao Salgado. I also worked as a guide to
Salgado's "Migrations" exhibit in its local run. Talking to these
photographers, looking at their pictures (and watching people respond to
their pictures), over and over, that's where I learned what is meant by
"Fire."

And I came to believe I have it. I DO HAVE THE FIRE IN MY BELLY. This was
big for me. I'd been searching for it for years. I've got some skills under
my belt, and now I can see what's needed: I must go out and do the work, and
get it in front of people. And once I know I can affect change (even modest
amounts) through my work, there will be no stopping me.

That is the purpose of this journey to Romania. And I'm champing at the bit.

I invite--no--*urge* anybody who's interested to drop me a line--questions,
advice, critiques, strategies, general haranguing, whatever. I'm going to do
this project, and it's going to be BIG. I've been hanging around long
enough; I know the character of the LUG. You may not know it, but you're
already a big part of what I'm doing here.

Thanks for listening. I admire what Kyle is doing here. And I am grateful
for *any* contribution you can make (i.e., not just the ones with $ signs
attached). I'm putting myself at your service. I'll do this thing up right.

Best,
Scott Squire