Subject: [Leica] Panasonic Lumix photos with Leica lens (?)
From: "DaveCS" <leica@chang-sang.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 20:41:57 -0400

There are a few issues surrounding this digital camera:

1) The Lens, as I'm sure you're all well aware, is essentially the same lens
that was found on the Sony DSC-S85, Canon G2/G1, Casio QV-4000 etc.  Steve
Sanders (www.steves-digicams.com) and Phil Askey (www.dpreview.com) both
state that the lens has origins in Canon country.  Steve has stated that
there's potential that Leica may have provided special coatings or glass.
(ref:  http://www.dpreview.com/news/0203/02030501stevepanadmclc5.asp )

2) Use of SD/MMC cards instead of CF/CFII cards.  As digicam file sizes
continue to grow, the larger CF/CFII card capacities seem to be more and
more a necessity than a "nice to have" option on such cameras.

3) Unfortunately there's no RAW file format for the camera - but
uncompressed TIFF files are a decent alternative

4) Lag between shots - if you're looking for no lag at all between shots -
then you're probably looking for a digital SLR a la Nikon D100 or Canon
D60 -  Any prosumer camera (at least currently) does show at least some lag
time, especially when writing larger file sizes to the memory card

I can't say I am "reviewing" or even "previewing" this camera as I don't
have access to it. I'm just pointing out some issues that some of you may
want to consider before a purchase.  As for the camera itself; if the lens
is the same as the Canon G1/G2, I can vouch that it will produce sharp and
contrasty images as were seen in Tina Manley's recent post.

Cheers,
Dave