Subject: Re: Vs: [Leica] Digital vs Film
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 20:20:22 -0700

The topic of my Ph.D. thesis, written for a Ph.D. in computer science at
Carnegie-Mellon University in 1980, was on techniques for encoding
information in a computer so that it would still be usable a thousand years
later. "Transmitting information across space or time", I called it.

The techniques exist, and they are now, 22 years later, quite widely known
and widely used. The language used for web pages, HTML, is the best-known
"will still be useful in a thousand years" document representation language.

It's just like preserving paper. You have to know what you are doing, you
have to understand the computer equivalent of acid-free paper, and you have
to be prepared to work just a little harder than if you're only making
something to last a week.

Replies: Reply from "Will" <wlarsen@ocsnet.net> (Re: Vs: [Leica] Digital vs Film)
Message from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: Vs: [Leica] Digital vs Film)