Subject: Re: [Leica] Take a Deep Breath
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 05:36:25 -0700

http://www.freedivecanada.com
> Should be up for the rest of the week.
>
> ("Static Apnea" is breath holding while lying face down in the water.
> The first 4 minutes can be relaxing- after that it's harder than it
looks!)<<<

Hi Bruce,
A good exposure! Now that you have that part right, as I'm sure you put this
up for comment, praise or otherwise, may I suggest the next time you're near
a pool and other diving members. Get in the water with them!

I realize this is during competition and you couldn't be in the pool, you
may have already taken what I'm going to suggest with your Leica at some
point. But the next time you have  the opportunity in wet suit and wish to
make a photograph of a diver doing his or her thing hanging out underwater
you might want to try this:

>>> The first 4 minutes can be relaxing- after that it's harder than it
looks!)<<<

Get in the pool with your Leica, of course with some kind of underwater
housing, and photograph the diver in those last moments before they have to
explode out of the water for air!!!

That's when you'll take interesting pictures, rather than just make a good
exposure!

No offence intended as it's a good exposure, once again I assume you've put
it up for comment.... good, bad or ugly!

But there's another question I have to ask. Is this really:

 >>My favorite shot from a competition.<<

because this is the winning competitor? Or because it's truly the best
photograph you took during the competition?

I ask this question simply because having covered Olympic Summer Games and
nearly always swimming, we must have the "winning swimmer" which on many
occasions does not lead to a "winning or favourite" photograph. Although we
may think it is due to an exposure of the winning athlete.

And I feel this is the case here. But like I say, it's a good exposure under
difficult lighting conditions.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant