Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Kyles proposal... musings
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:56:06 -0400

At 08:19 PM 4/30/02 -0500, you wrote:
>On Tuesday, April 30, 2002, at 07:54 PM, Allan Wafkowski wrote:
>>The idea behind missionary work is to allow people to see what the wares
>>are, and then choose for themselves.
>
>Wow. That kind of contradicts the past five hundred years of missionary
>work.  More along the lines of "convert or be slaughtered/enslaved/left
>without food/etc."
>
>>Allan

I don't know what kind of missionary work you have been exposed to, but the
kind I am associated with and work for does no proselytizing at all.  We
never mention religion but just show up with our clinics and workshops for
health promoters.  We give health care and education to everyone,
regardless of their religion.  Many of the communities we work with are
Catholic and we are Presbyterians, but when Sunday comes we all worship
together.  It doesn't really matter if the people have any religion at
all.  They see us together and know that we are there from the USA and that
we care enough to come and try to help them.  That is all that matters.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com
images available from: