Subject: [Leica] Shintaro
From: Stephen Gandy <leicanikon@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 23:50:27 -0700

Javier,

have you even seen one of Shintaro's paint jobs?

from your comments, it doesn't sound like it, since just about everything
you say is incorrect.  he removes the chrome before painting, the quality
of the paint job is superb, usually better than original Leica factory
paint jobs.    Shintaro has spent years learning his craft, takes great
pride in it, and does a wonderful job.    His personal M3  was sanded down
to give a worn appearance -- a style popular in Japan.

 The quality of Shintaro's paint jobs is generally as good,  and usually
better,  than all of the original Leica factory black paint M3, M2, and M4
examples I have owned.     Shintaro often has a smoother paint finish, and
he uses a much tougher quality paint finish which resists wear better.
Leica has never in my opinion turned out the best black paint jobs.  I say
this after comparing original black paint Leica M's to original black paint
Nikon SP's and Canon L-1's.    Sometimes original black paint M3's and M2's
who up with a great deal (sometimes even most) of the black paint worn off.
It's not because the photog used the camera heavily, it's because Leica did
a poor paint job on the classic M's.    You will never see wear patterns
like that on classic Nikons or Canons because they used better quality
paint.      Leica's paint problems continued on the black paint M6
Milleniums, whose  paint is often thin and uneven because Leica had not
produced a black paint camera in decades.   As Solms gained more paint
experience,  M6 paint quality improved considerably.   The Green M6 version
of the Millenium is a beauty, far better than the black Millenium.

bottom line, Solms will be doing quite well if they can consistently
produce black paint cameras as good as Shintaro.

Stephen Gandy

Replies: Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Shintaro)