Subject: [Leica] Re: The hardest finish for M
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 18:12:13 -0700

At 07:34 PM 5/1/2002 -0500, Jeffery L. Smith wrote:
>I don't have the answer to that, but have been curious about some of the
>black paint finishes I have seen lately on the LUG. Does the fellow who
>does the black paint finishes paint OVER the vulcanite on the M series? If
>so, the finish would be of little use if the vulcanite separated from the
>camera body. I just saw an obscenely expensive olive green Leica on ebay,
>and it appeared to be green paint over vulcanite as well.
>
>Jeffery Smith

Shintaro disassembles the camera, un-plates whatever plating is currently
on the camera, cleans it up, smooths it out, and paints it black, and
reassembles it. The full package includes new vulcanite (or the current
equivalent.) With the full package, you end up with a new looking camera in
every way.

Jim