Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital M??
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 16:03:04 -0700

First of all, 35mm cameras do not have interchangeable film backs.
Hasselblad, Mamiya, Bronica, etc, MF cameras all have large removable film
backs. View cameras all have (mostly all) removable Graflok backs that
allows the attaching of any type of film back to the camera. Also, many
film cassettes for LF cameras slide into the sheet film holder space and
carry the roll film (Sinar, Horseman, etc.) outside of the back.

All of these cameras have a large enough back to house an entire digital
camera.

They all also have a connector so that an umbilical can be attached to
download images to a laptop or other digital memory device. Cheap smart
media is basically useless with these backs. You need 1 gig microdisks or
the like. Older backs had to send each image to the computer/memory device.
You carry the memory bank in a case, over your shoulder like you would a
Metz 60CT-4 strobe battery pack. Newer backs have enough memory (a gigabyte
or so) to store several high resolution images before having to download
them to a computer.

Many of the backs that fit LF cameras are scanning backs. They produce
extremely high resolution but require very long exposures. 45 seconds to
several minutes. Some MF backs are also scanning backs as the resolution
obtained from a scanning back can be a quantum leap over a CCD matrix.

There are various mechanisms to synchronize a mechanical camera with an
electronic back. But the bottom line is that all of these backs are very
large and can house a ton of electronics. It is possible to synchronize the
camera shutter for use with a digital back, but this is not the norm. All
of the digital backs that I am familiar with contain their own exposure
mechanism, as I have outlined before. A silicon substrate pulse to the CCD
is the shutter. On backs for LF cameras, the shutter part of the exposure
is also taken over by the back itself. The taking lens shutter is simply
left open with the correct f/stop selected.

There are a myriad of ways of accomplishing this. Again, there is enough
room and these cameras all have removable and replaceable backs. This is
one of their strong points. Where 35mm cameras, except for a very few old
cameras, do not have interchangeable film magazines therefore have no place
to house all of the required electronics.

If you go here:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/cameras/dcsProBack/proBackIndex.jhtml

You will see that, built into this Hasselblad/Mamiya back is a full and
complete digital camera including LCD preview panel. The film camera in
front of the digital back is simply a dark box that holds a lens. As with
other backs, this back controls the exposure. For use on a Hasselblad,
either an electric Hasselblad or one with a CW winder must be used. The
winder connects to the back and the exposure release also connects to the
back. The back controls the camera. The camera is set on a longer exposure
time than the digital back needs. This way the digital back will take its
picture while the camera shutter is open.

Also, as I have said before, film camera lenses are too sharp for CCD's.
Here's what Kodak says to do when a too sharp lens will cause artifacts:

For certain types of photography, you can mount the optional anti-aliasing
filter over the CCD. The anti-aliasing filter dramatically reduces scene
aliasing and moire. The anti-aliasing filter also has IR reflection layers,
so an additional IR filter is not needed.

Basically dumbing down the film camera lens. Reducing the MTF to a value
below the CCD pixel spacing frequency.

Jim