Subject: RE: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 18: May Day in Zurich
From: "Beddoe, Neil" <nbeddoe@lehman.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 13:33:05 +0100

A very good story.  The one with the guard playing with a dog appears to
have captured the spirit of the event.

Neil

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_18.jpg
(This picture, as well as all the others to follow, taken with M6+35mm
Summilux on Ilford Delta 100 developed in XTOL 1+3)

Here is some Turkish guy (I think), reading what appeared to be quite a
fiery (and loud!) speech:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_18alt1.jpg

Amnesty International promoted workers' rights to organise in China:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_18alt2.jpg

The local office of the Swiss National Bank had hired private guards,
but things were calm at that point and they had not much to do:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_18alt3.jpg

The demo ended at Bahnhofplatz, and police were out in force to guard
the entrance to the main station (which also contains a shopping
centre):
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_18alt4.jpg

The only sign of vandalism I saw was this anti-fascist graffiti outside
McDonalds:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_18alt5.jpg

Being the world's only superpower means that the U.S. is a target of
protest by all kinds of kooks, like this guy with a GWB mask and his own
version of Stars and Stripes:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_18alt6.jpg

The nice man with his Che Guevara banner was happy to pose for the
well-dressed elderly lady who wanted a snap of real Commie:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_18alt7.jpg

Finally, three shots at the end of the demo, of anarchist types getting
ready for the real action, which we skipped, as I had no desire to get
myself, my son or my Leicas smashed, nor did I wish to sniff tear gas.
These guys do not like to be photographed...
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_18alt8.jpg
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_18alt9.jpg
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_18alt10.jpg