Subject: Re: [Leica] Another thing I noticed about the M7
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 06:37:40 -0700

Doug Herr wrote:
>>> the slippery slope of automation!  then next thing will be a slow-speed
> warning (switchable between a bronx cheer, a vibration under the shutter
> finger and pulsating LEDs); then it will be "smart" meter mode switching
> between spot, center-weighted and matrix so you don't have to think about
it;
> the automatic "features" will eventually be seen an necessities and before
> you know it the svelte, silent M has grown to the size of an F5!<<<

jeeesh Doug don't even mention "more automation" it might encourage the
elves to do more then screw it up! The M7 is improved to a very nice point,
surely never to be made bigger. :-) It doesn't require anymore bells and
whistles.

So far, and maybe it's just me and my KISS attitude at using the M7, waiting
for a couple more to replace M6's, it's just working like a dream.

I shot 12 rolls yesterday and every frame appears to be properly exposed
when the negatives were sleeved for contacting, edited and printed 11X14
today. I always clarify that with .... "they haven't been edited yet" as I'm
sure there'll be a number blacked out. ;-) I mean after all, who's so good
to shoot one roll of perfect 36 frames let alone a dozen. ;-)

> behind the viewfinder it's not "my" picture any more.  A couple things
Leica
> did right with the M7 are the limited auto-exposure and keeping the manual
> mode as simple to use as the M6.<<<

Absolutely, after all isn't the rallying cry of the M camera manual
handling? " I control the camera not the "wood chip" inside?
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant