Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 at a Bris
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 11:26:46 -0700

"Mārtiņš Zelmenis" wrote:

> May I chime in -
>
> not owning a M7 - hasn't the brand new camera got an <exposure lock> switch
> (operated in AUTO mode) of a kind?
>
> Martin
>
> AE is not the best way to go in a situation like this. At least not the
> way it has been implemented in the M7. The same light is falling on the
> black suits and the white table cloth so just meter once and lock it
> using manual. Having to constantly twiddle the exposure compensation
> dial is not faster just sillier!
>
> John Collier
>
> On Wednesday, May 8, 2002, at 02:21 AM, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
> > What about setting the override control to one or more under for the men
> > in the black suits and over a stop or so for the white table cloth?
> > That's what I'd do!
>
> --

An AE system whether it's on a flash or just on a camera does not know
what it's looking at.

We've got to inform it that its looking at guys in black suits or white
table cloths.

So an easy to access override is going to be part of picture.

We skew the reading to make it usefull.

So don't want middle grey black suits. We don't want middle grey white
tablecloths. So we override.

Simple.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA